Using Trello labels opens up a wealth of prospects for organizing and filtering playing cards throughout lists. Used to their fullest extent, labels make it straightforward to show key data, group playing cards throughout lists, and discover playing cards that match given standards. The finest information is, there’s no restrict on the quantity of labels you should use! Let’s check out how they are going to enable you to higher handle your undertaking.
As many Trello labels as you want
Trello has 10 preset colours, and because of this many of us consider you possibly can solely create 10 labels. The reality is, you possibly can create as many as you need! Simply identify labels of the identical colour otherwise.
You’ll discover that as you create new labels, Trello will robotically group them based mostly on colour and order these teams in the identical order as Trello’s colours. This habits is baked into Trello and customers can not change it.
You can add new labels from the facet menu, or from inside any card. You may also choose a card with out opening it, and hit “L” (for label). Trello will then present a pop up with the label dialog.
What are you able to do with limitless Trello labels?
Here’s what labels can do for a typical undertaking supervisor:
- Display label names: If you’ve got multiple label of the identical colour, allow label identify show by turning it on in the facet menu, or by merely clicking on any label.
- Filter playing cards: Labels aren’t simply labels; they’re a good way to filter which playing cards you need to see. To try this, merely hit the F key, and choose the most related label that will help you discover the proper playing cards.
- Assign or unassign labels with ease: Hover over a card, hit L for label, and a label popup with autocomplete will present. Here you possibly can assign and unassign at will.
- Group associated labels by colour: You can then immediately filter to see these teams of Trello labels. For instance, when you have 10 inexperienced labels for improvement, choose a card and hit 1. Trello will then present you all of the improvement labels. Each label colour is tied to a quantity: 1 for inexperienced, 2 for yellow, 3 for orange, and so forth.
- Filter your calendar by labels: If you’ve got a Calendar View Power-Up, you possibly can filter your calendar by labels. For instance, if you wish to see solely advertising and marketing occasions in deadlines in your calendar view, filter by advertising and marketing labels.
A use case for limitless Trello labels
Let’s take into account a hypothetical cross-functional undertaking: a cell app launch. This undertaking will contain enter from a number of groups, together with builders, designers, and buyer help. Each group can create its personal set of labels to distinguish their work on the undertaking’s duties. For instance, as a card strikes from its preliminary stage to varied phases of completion all through the course of the undertaking, it might have labels from numerous group labels related to it. One card can have developer, advertising and marketing, CSM, and higher administration labels. It could look one thing like this:
There are a number of methods you might use Trello labels to handle this undertaking:
- Let managers see the duties their groups are engaged on: They may even use a shortcut to take action. Since every label colour is related to a quantity, they’ll hit 1 by 9 to deliver up a dialog of all the labels of that colour. For instance, if the Dev group supervisor labels all dev duties in inexperienced, they’ll filter by inexperienced to verify particulars like whether or not the proper builders are assigned to the proper options.
- Indicate key bits of data: If the CEO labels a card “High priority,” that’s undoubtedly one thing everybody must know. The CEO may also filter by their High Priority label to see the playing cards they care about. In the screenshot instance under, these labels are pink. At the identical time, advertising and marketing can use labels to tag what channels they want particular content material for, seen under in purple.
- Show job standing: In a undertaking with this diploma of complexity, buyer help must determine options that their employees will want coaching on earlier than launch. By utilizing yellow labels they’ll flag particular playing cards that mirror coaching wants. Once that coaching is completed, they’ll substitute that label with a yellow “OK” flag. Feature playing cards which might be nearing launch that don’t have the “OK” change into clear requires motion.
Think of Trello labels as completely different views in your undertaking. As the quantity of folks grows on a given undertaking, and as employees from completely different elements of your group get entangled, labels are a strong means of giving completely different departments their very own means of marking and filtering the playing cards.
What else are you able to do with Trello labels?
Trello labels are only one of the fields you should use when constructing a workflow in Unito. Unito is a workflow manamagenent answer that helps you get the most of your work administration instruments, together with Trello! You can use Unito to sync Trello playing cards to different instruments, like Asana, Jira, Click onUp, and extra. With Unito’s deep, two-way workflows, any modifications made to a Trello card can be mirrored in your different instrument, and vice-versa.
What does this need to do with labels? Well, say you want folks in each Trello and Asana to know which duties are assigned to a developer, a marketer, or a buyer help agent. By syncing Trello labels with Asana tags, you possibly can determine these duties in each instruments, with no extra busywork (or worse copy-pasting).
Want to do extra with Trello?
Unito’s integration for Trello syncs extra fields, is extra customizable, and has true two-way sync.