A one-year-old boy was mur*dered by a child k*iller who was serving life in prison. Andrew Lloyd, 37, of Swansea, Wales, was sentenced to life in prison in 2005 after subjecting 13-month-old Aaron Gilbert to a four-week assault.

Andrew Lloyd, of Swansea, Wales, murd*ered Rebecca Lewis’s 13-month-old son Aaron Gilbert.
During his 2005 trial, it was revealed that he had subjected the youngster to a four-week assault.

According to WalesOnline, the Prison Service has confirmed he died while serving his sentence in prison at the age of 37.

“HMP Full Sutton prisoner Andrew Lloyd died in custody on November 19,” a spokeswoman said. The Ombudsman for Prisons and Probation has been notified.”

Lewis was found guilty by a Swansea Crown Court jury of failing to protect her son from the violent, drug-taking Lloyd at their home in the city’s Townhill district.

On May 5, 2005, Lloyd viciously attacked the baby while he was alone with him.

He lost his cool and violently shook Aaron, causing his head to collide with a wall.

Lloyd mur*dered 13-month-old Aaron Gilbert after subjecting him to a four-week series of atrocities.

Mum Lewis had abandoned Aaron with Lloyd while she went shopping, despite knowing he had assaulted him during weeks of abuse.

A pathologist discovered a severe brain injury and nearly 50 external injuries after Aaron died the next day in the hospital.

Lloyd, then 23, was sentenced alongside Aaron’s mother, then 21-year-old Lewis, in December 2006 at Swansea Crown Court.

He was sentenced to a minimum of 24 years in prison, which would have made him 47 if he served his entire term.

Lewis was sentenced to seven years in prison for familial homicide and attempting to pervert the course of justice in a case that was considered a legal landmark at the time. She was one of the first people in Wales and England to face familial homicide charges.

At the time, Swansea Crown Court heard that Lewis and Lloyd’s relationship began at the end of March 2005.

Lloyd developed a dislike for baby Aaron after moving in with Lewis.

The jury heard how he yelled at him, grabbed his ears, threw bottles at him, swung him by his ankles “like someone swinging a cat by its tail,” smothered him with a blanket, and blew cannabis smoke in his face.

There was also evidence that Lloyd bit Aaron on the cheek five days before he died.

Aaron was so disfigured from being systematically and violently assaulted that a neighbor compared him to the Elephant Man.

Mr. Justice Langstaff, the judge who sentenced Lloyd, stated at the time, “You mur*dered Aaron after subjecting him to a sustained catalogue of brutality during the last four weeks of his life.”

“I regard your conduct during those four weeks as being effectively inseparable from what you did on the day when you inflicted the fatal injury.”

Lloyd’s case reached London’s Appeal Court in 2007, when he challenged his minimum prison term of 24 years.

His lawyers argued that the sentence did not adequately account for his youth and turbulent personal history.

However, Lord Justice Gage stated that after Aaron’s death in May 2005, doctors discovered 50 separate injuries on his body.

His injuries extended “from head to foot” on his small frame.

He said Lloyd had inflicted “significant and extreme abuse” and, but for his youth and background of turmoil, a 30-year tariff might have been imposed.

“This was a dreadful case,” he concluded at the time, rejecting Lloyd’s appeal.

Similar Posts