William Griffor, along with his wife and three children, moved into a home in the West Ashley district of Charleston, South Carolina in September 2011. Just a few weeks after they settled into their new home, the family’s life became a nightmare. It was around 1:00 am on Tuesday, October 25, 2011, when William woke up because he heard a loud noise. He quickly realized that someone was kicking the front door in an attempt to gain access into the home.

William, still half-asleep, ran to the front door. “It was like a bang. It was a loud kicking…I yelled ‘hey’ through the door and then there was a shot.” As William reached up for the lock on the front door, he heard a loud shot and his arm was peppered with pellets from a shotgun. Unsure what was happening, he yelled for his wife and kids to get under their beds. A second shotgun blast missed William and tore through one of the interior walls of the home.

The noise stopped just as quickly as it started. The person who was trying to get into the house ran off into the night, leaving William to wonder what had happened. To let his wife Jennifer know he was okay, he called out. Then he went to check on her and his kids. Jennifer was okay, and neither of their two sons were hurt. The 5-year-old had been shot, but Allison wasn’t so lucky. “Our daughter wouldn’t answer. When my wife turned her over, she was lying in a pool of blood.

It was Allison’s bedroom where the second shot was fired. William was scared to dea*th. “The bullet shot her in the head as she slept in her safe bed. It went through the door and the wall.” Jennifer grabbed her cell phone right away and called 911.

Allison was taken to the hospital in very bad shape, and doctors worked very hard to get her stable. A friend of the family told reporters that Allison was seriously hurt. “Her heart is beating, but that’s all I can say right now.” She’s having a hard time, but she’s fighting hard to stay alive and be here with us.

Doctors were sorry, but Allison could not be saved; the shotgun blast had kil*led her brain. Her parents had to make the very sad decision to turn off her life support on Thursday. Additionally, they chose to give away Allison’s organs.

In a written statement about Allison’s dea*th, her family said they wanted people to remember her for who she was, not how she died. Allison was a wonderful person who loved life and was silly, fun, bubbly, and silly. She had a passion that we have never seen before. She was an artist and a leader. She was a great sister to her two brothers and always did everything with them. They had a hard time dealing with her dea*th.

The dea*th of the 5-year-old shocked the people of West Ashley, and they were afraid that they could be next. Lisa Robinson, a neighbor, said, “You can’t even be in your house.”You worry that someone is out there…I have no idea who it is or what they plan to do. It’s really bad.”

Allison was laid to rest on October 29, 2011. Allison’s parents didn’t want the event to be too sad, so they asked her friends and family to wear bright dresses in her honor. People from her kindergarten class were among the many mourners who crowded into the Crosstowne Christian Church. Most of them were too young to fully understand what was going on, though. Everyone there said they hoped the suspect would be caught quickly.

Detectives worked hard to find out who k*illed Allison, but there weren’t many clues. The criminal records of William and Jennifer did not show that they would be likely targets for such a violent crime. They had no ties to guns or drugs and had never been in trouble with the law. Investigators thought it might have been a case of mistaken identity. They thought Allison might have died because the shooter went after the wrong house. Police thought the shooter was going to a nearby house because they found drugs and guns there.

Reporters were told that Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon was set on making an arrest in the case. “We’re going to catch the jerk who kil*led this girl.” He said that the shooting was one of the saddest things he had ever seen because Allison should have been safe in her own home. The community was shocked and angry about her dea*th.

Allison was k*illed a few months after South Carolina State Representative Wendell Gilliard proposed the “Home Invasion Protection Act.” This bill would make home invasions violent crimes and give the ki*ller the de*ath penalty if they hurt someone during one. He now wanted to change the name of that law to “Allison’s Law.” But her parents didn’t like the idea. They only said that they didn’t want anyone to be ki*lled in their daughter’s name.

There was no progress on the case over the Christmas break. Two of Allison’s friends told their parents at the end of the year that they wanted to give the money they had saved in their piggy banks to a reward fund. The boys’ dad, Richard Douglas, gave some of his own money to make the reward a full $1,000. This was what the kids hoped would help find the person who k*illed their friend and neighbor.

In March 2012, Sheriff Cannon said that the investigation was getting help from federal authorities. Richard Douglas, a friend of the Griffor family who spoke for them, told reporters that the family was happy to hear about this. “It would be nice if this turned into a bigger manhunt.” This is very bad. There is still a child ki*ller among us, and we need to find him.

Their daughter Allison had died, and the Griffors had moved away from South Carolina. They were still having a hard time dealing with their loss. Following Allison’s d*eath, her older brother, who was 7 years old at the time, became very scared. He wouldn’t go to the bathroom alone and insisted that one of his parents go with him. He didn’t want to sleep in his own room; he wanted to stay in his parents’ room, which made him feel safer.

Richard said the family didn’t want to tell anyone where they were going. “They do want to keep that secret.” They’re scared for their lives. He told them they weren’t going to go back to South Carolina. “They’re too scared to come here because they know the person who k*illed their child is still out there. Their whole life has been turned upside down.”

Investigators were unable to make any progress on the case, even with the help of federal authorities. They thought they knew who might have k*illed Allison a year after the fact, but they didn’t have any solid proof. Allison’s family hoped that the people who did it would eventually feel so guilty that they would turn themselves in. “My family and I hope and pray that these criminals, these lost souls, can find time to listen to God and turn away from their sins,” Jennifer said.

On the first anniversary of Allison’s de*ath, William and Jennifer made a public statement. “We’ve been try to stay very busy and take things one step at a time.” Still, it’s hard to believe someone would shoot without thinking, let alone at the voice on the other end of the door of a stranger.

Sheriff Cannon said that some of the people responsible had gone to jail on separate charges since the case was over, even though no one had been arrested. He told the reporters that the attack wasn’t meant to happen at the Griffor house. “There was a mistake in the location of this identity.” In response to a question about how many people were involved in the crime, he said, “We have a good idea who was involved.” He was hoping that one of the group members would finally decide to come forward so that a deal could be made for a lighter sentence.

Years passed, and no witnesses came forward. In November 2014, Lt. Chris Brokaw of Charleston County said, “We think we know who is responsible…”Our investigators are hoping that someone will come forward with the necessary details that will allow us to charge our suspects.

Allison’s family was still hurting from the d*eath of their daughter. Jennifer said, “It would be nice to know why they were at our house in the first place…”I’d be lying if I said we didn’t think about it every day.

The names of four men Sheriff Cannon thought were involved in k*illing Allison were released at a press conference in June 2015. They were Franklin Glover, Levell Grant, Shyrome Johnson, and Philip Moses. Shyrome Johnson was arrested and charged with obstruction on June 4, 2015. Detectives said he lied to them about the case when they talked to him about it the day Allison was ki*lled. There were no mur*der charges against any of the men yet because the police needed more proof.

William and Jennifer said, “We pray that Shyrome Johnson will do the right thing and give the Griffor family some peace and knowledge that those who did this sin will be held accountable for their actions very soon” after hearing the latest news.

It wasn’t until October 2022 that detectives had found the proof they needed to make an arrest. Even though they were sure they knew who did it, they couldn’t prove it, so they said anyone could have done it. “We don’t know who was on the other side of the door, whether it was one person or more than one person,” said Detective Barry Goldstein of Charleston County. And he still hoped that someone would come forward to help them solve Allison’s case. “It’s too bad she didn’t get to live her life.”

Allison Griffor was only 5 years old when she died on October 25, 2011, while she was sleeping in her home in Charleston, South Carolina. Investigators think they know who committed the crime, but they don’t have enough proof to make an arrest. They are hoping that someone will come forward with the information they need to finally get Allison justice. Help solve the case of Allison’s m*urder by calling Crime Stoppers at 843–554–1111 or the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office at 843–554–2475.

Similar Posts