In a new mugshot released after he was ordered held without bond early Tuesday, the man accused of kidnapping Charlotte Sena looked confused and messy. This is because police are looking into whether he may have been involved in other cases of child a*bduction.
A mugshot of 46-year-old Craig Ross Jr. was released by police on Tuesday. Ross has a scraggly beard and his hairline is going away. It says he is about 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 275 pounds.
WNYT says the mugshot came out hours after Ross was officially charged with kidnapping at an arraignment in Milton Town Court.
Early Tuesday morning, he was taken to the Saratoga County Jail. He is being held without bond while police continue to look into whether he is connected to any other disappearances.
Newsweek says that police will question Ross all day to find out if he had been following Charlotte around, if he is a pedophile, or if he was just a criminal trying to get money from her ransom.
They will also talk to his family and friends about where he is and what kind of person he is. At the same time, they will compare his DNA to a database of child abduction cases.
There is still no word on whether Ross specifically went after Charlotte or just picked her off when she was riding her bike through Moreau Lake State Park by herself after camping with her family on Saturday.
At a news conference Monday night, Gov. Kathy Hochul said that the suspect’s car registration showed that he lived only two miles from the child’s home.
She said that early Monday morning, Ross reportedly put a ransom letter with fingerprints on it in the mailbox of the Sena family. This was the big clue in the case.
Hochul says that the prints were matched to Ross Jr. by investigators who put them into a database. Ross Jr. was arrested in Saratoga in 1999 on a DWI charge.
“He drove up to the family’s mailbox at 4:20 in the morning, thinking they weren’t home, opened it, and put the ransom note inside. He then left his fingerprint, which is the most important piece of evidence,” Hochul said.
The suspect then kept his camper behind his mom’s house at a home in Ballston Spa, where two police helicopters arrived and arrested him “after some resistance” at about 6:30 p.m., Hochul said.
The governor said, “Right away, the little girl was found in a cabinet cabinet.” “She knew she was being saved when she was saved.” She was sure she was safe.
The girl’s parents were told that she had been found and seemed to be “physically unharmed,” but she was still taken to a nearby hospital just in case.
After hearing the news, Charlotte’s aunt thanked the local and state police for their work.
“Thank you to God, the FBI, the NYSP, all the other agencies, friends, family, volunteers, and people in the community who worked so hard to bring Charlotte home!!!!!!!!!! Jene Sena wrote on Facebook, “GOD IS GOOD.”
She had already shared a GoFundMe page to help raise money for the family while the search went on.
It had raised more than $17,000 by Tuesday morning, and more donations kept coming in to help the family through this hard time.